Skagens Museum contains paintings, drawings and sculptures by the many famous artists who frequented Skagen in the period 1870-1930.
In the late 19th century, Skagen became home to an artist colony of primarily Scandinavian painters, and with masterpieces by P.S. Krøyer, Anna Ancher and Laurits Tuxen Skagens Museum is home to some of the best known paintings in Denmark and abroad. In addition to the permanent collection, the museum displays interchanging special exhibitions.
Brøndum's dining hall and the museum garden
In 1883, P.S. Krøyer got the idea to decorate the dining room at Brøndums Hotel with paintings, and these were transferred to the museum from Brøndums Hotel in 1946. In the museum garden is 'Havehuset', which was Anna and Michael Ancher's first home, and a grain drying magazine, where P.S. Krøyer set up his studio in Skagen. Today 'Havehuset' houses a café where you can buy hot and cold drinks and the most delicious home-baked pastry and cakes.
Skagens Museum is also for children
The 'Picture Hunt' is a treasure hunt for the whole family in the museum's halls, where it is a matter of finding clues and solving tasks. During the Danish winter, summer and autumn holidays, there is a painting school for children in the museum's art workshop 'Bikuben'. On the 1st floor there are children's rooms, where there are various activities all year round.
The history of the museum - the short version
The museum was founded in 1908 by pharmacist V. Chr. Klæbel, hotel owner Degn Brøndum, and the artists Laurits Tuxen, Michael Ancher and P.S. Krøyer. The museum was built in 1928 according to drawings by architect Ulrik Plesner and later expanded in 1982 and 1989 by Royal Building Inspector Jacob Blegvad.
Skagens Museum was most recently expanded in the period 2014-2016 with an extension designed by Friis & Moltke Architects.
Tlf. +45 98 44 64 44