Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse
In 1900, the lighthouse was finished at Rubjerg Knude, and on December 27 the candle was lit for the first time. The lighthouse was placed at Lønstrup Klint's highest point, about 60 meters above sea level, and 200 meters from the slope. The lighthouse was 23 meters high and the light in Rubjerg Knude Fyr could be seen up to 42 km. distance. The light helped the ships to navigate, especially in the dark. If it was foggy one day, the position of Rubjerg Knude Fyr was marked by sound, namely by using a fog horn.
From the beginning, the lighthouse was equipped with its own gas plant, but in 1906 the gas was replaced by petroleum. In 1948, an agreement was signed with the DC power company, Liver Mill, for the supply of electricity to the Lighthouse.
When in 1900, the lighthouse came into use, it was manned from the start by three men and their families. The employee was a lighthouse keeper, a lighthouse assistant and a lighthouse keeper. At night, the guard room in the lighthouse had to be constantly manned, which is why the three men took turns working. The tasks were many: keep an eye on the gas supply, and the clockwork of the lens should be pulled up every three hours. If there were to be fog on a guard, they had to start in the engine house and start, and watch out for the engine, also the clock signal of the fog signal, and finally look for ships that might have gotten into trouble at sea.
To the homes that surrounded the lighthouse, there were also gardens. These were located on the slope to the east. The gardens were surrounded by eaves. Much of the work on the gardens consisted in removing sand from the crops.
The lighthouse was built 200 meters inland. At this point, the lighthouse lay relatively undisturbed without major dunes around. But as time went on, the sea grew closer and the wind blew large amounts of sand from the cliff. The sand lay around the lighthouse. Initially, the attempt was made to limit the sand by various planting on the cliff, however unsuccessfully. Eventually, the sand lay so high that it was sometimes impossible to see the lighthouse light from the sea. In 1968, the fight was abandoned and the lighthouse was switched on for the last time.
Today, the sand has walked past the lighthouse, but the lighthouse is still under threat as the edge of the cliff moves closer. In November 2018, however, Rubjerg Knude Fyr joined the Finance Act 2019. Here, 5 million danish kroner was set aside to move the lighthouse 60-80 meters inland. It is expected that such a move will mean that the lighthouse is secured for the next 20-40 years.